Update on things happening in Rotary and indigenous communities, including current events – Rotary luncheons with guest speakers, open community and cultural gatherings, etc.

 

 

We thought we would share appreciation from a recipient for the recent delivery of the Wawahte books with whom HIP has supported.

We received the copies of your "Wawahte" book and DVD on Wednesday October 15th.  In the afternoon of the same day, I presented the material to the Teacher Librarians from our secondary schools.  All received one copy of the material.

Thank you for your generous donation of this material to each of our 33 secondary schools and specifically to support the Native Studies curriculum which students take in our system.

Regards,

Vincent Citriniti
Program Co-ordinator, Curriculum & Accountability Department
Toronto Catholic District School Board

First Nation brings Hydro protest to HQ Pimicikamak residents rally over Jenpeg

WINNIPEG FREE PRESS By: Ashley Prest

Posted: 10/24/2014 1:00 AM | Last Modified: 7:43 AM |

Backers of a First Nation's protest against Manitoba Hydro rallied Thursday at the Crown corporation's downtown headquarters.

The peaceful rally saw about 30 members of Pimicikamak First Nation protest over the Jenpeg generating station, located about 20 kilometres from Cross Lake, which is 525 kilometres north of Winnipeg.

Last week, about 600 Pimicikamak residents evicted Manitoba Hydro employees from the Jenpeg station grounds, protesting what they say is the anitoba government's failure to honour the Northern Flood Agreement, signed in the 1970s after the Jenpeg station was built.

Pimicikamak council member Mervin Garrick spoke Thursday to the assembled crowd, representing Chief Cathy Merrick, who couldn't attend because her flight was
cancelled. Garrick said the action is being taken to force the government to restore a fair relationship with Pimicikamak.

"They have not fulfilled their promise to do environmental cleanup... to maximize employment for our people... to eradicate mass poverty and mass unemployment,"
Garrick said, noting 287 residents right now lack power because Manitoba Hydro cut them off when they could not afford to pay power bills which, at about $600 per
month, are among the highest in the province.

"We feel frustrated. We feel cheated. But we also feel determined," he said. "That is why we will stay at Jenpeg until the government and Hydro demonstrate that they are committed to restoring a fair relationship with Pimicikamak."

Read more...

First Nations Stories Dominating the News:

1-Membertou aboriginal summit ends with tribute to missing, murdered women

<http://www.capebretonpost.com/Author-Staff-%7E-The-Cape-Breton-Post/830/1> Staff ~
The Cape Breton Post, October 22 - MEMBERTOU — The National Aboriginal Women's Summit ended Wednesday with a tribute honouring missing and murdered aboriginal women and girls from across Canada. The tribute was called a Circle of Hope, and was preceded earlier in the day by a discussion about the issue, said Cheryl Maloney, president of the Nova Scotia Native Women's Association. "There is a parallel session to look at how a roundtable would be on missing and murdered
indigenous women, so there's going to be a side working group that's really interesting to see where we're moving that file," said Maloney. "They called on the
federal government to have a roundtable and they came back and said, 'Sure, if you want to pay for everything and if you want to admit that you're killing your own
people, then we'll have an inquiry.'" While Maloney said there's disappointment with the federal response, the same cannot be said about the province's reaction to
the issue. "They have supported a call for missing and murdered women and, unlike some other provinces which just talk about it, this province has actually stepped
up," said Maloney. "It's worked. And we're working together and trying to find solutions to deal with the issues facing aboriginal women, and this conference is
evidence of that commitment to the women and the women file." Premier Stephen McNeil spoke to the summit on Monday night and was one of the co-chairs of the
event. "As one of the first provinces to call on the federal government to launch a national public inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women and girls, we
recognize the importance of this critical issue," said McNeil. "We also appreciate that this summit needs to address other critical issues, too." Sheila Watt-Cloutier, an environmental and human rights activist and Nobel Peace Prize nominee, delivered the keynote address on Tuesday. Waneek Horn-Miller, an aboriginal activist and Olympic athlete from the Kahnawake Mohawk Territory, spoke on Wednesday. The three-day summit saw 175 delegates from across Canada attending the event and participating in a variety of sessions covering such issues as equity and empowerment. The Nova Scotia government co-hosted the summit alongside the Native Women's Association of Canada.

Other First Nations stories of Interest:

1-Methadone treatment needs review, First Nations leader says

Jody Porter, <http://www.cbc.ca/news/cbc-news-online-news-staff-list-1.1294364> CBC News, Oct 23 - A First Nations leader wants to know who is benefitting from the growing number of methadone clinics in Thunder Bay. "There has to be some regulation in terms of how doctors are running these clinics and the scrutiny that should be there, I don't think is there right now," said Nishnawbe Aski Nation deputy grand chief Alvin Fiddler. Thunder Bay, with a population of about 110,000, has seven clinics that provide methadone to people as a treatment for addictions to injection drugs. Toronto, with a population of about 4.5 million people, lists 11 methadone clinics. Fiddler says the numbers don't add up, but the billings for doctors who oversee methadone prescriptions do. "Running a methadone clinic is big business," he said. "It generates a lot of revenue." A doctor can bill up to $10 thousand a year to supervise methadone treatment for one patient, Fiddler said, and the treatment can go on for years. "We've heard that clients that were on this program 10 or 11 years ago are given the same dose today," he said. "The effectiveness of the methadone program is under question." Fiddler wants the College of Physicians and Ontario's Ministry of Health to review methadone treatment. But provincial Health Minister Eric Hoskins said he doesn't believe his fellow physicians are motivated by money. "I think if anything is driving them into the field of mental health and addictions management it's a better understanding of just how serious this problem is in the province," Hoskins said. "That doesn't mean that's the situation in 100 per cent of the cases but I'm confident that our physicians are driven by what they see as their contribution to their local community and wanting to make a difference in the health and well-being of the population." Hoskins said "a significant portion" of the province's increased health care budget will go towards the Aboriginal population and be directed towards "prevention and addictions management." "Nowhere in the province is that more acute than in places like the
Thunder Bay region," he said. Fiddler agrees that addictions are a serious concern but he questions the reliance on methadone, alone, as a treatment. "There there has to be supports," he said. "What we're finding right now is that those supports that are supposed to help a client aren't there in Thunder Bay. They're severely
lacking."

Read more...

<http://aptn.ca/news/2014/10/21/afn-still-trying-figure-program-cuts-will-mean-organization/> AFN still trying to figure out what program cuts will mean
for organization

<http://aptn.ca/news/category/nation-to-nation/> Nation to Nation | 21.
Oct, 2014 by <http://aptn.ca/news/author/mblackburn/> Mark Blackburn |
<http://aptn.ca/news/2014/10/21/afn-still-trying-figure-program-cuts-will-mean-organization/#disqus_thread> 0 Comments

APTN National News
The Assembly of First Nations is trying to figure out how deep programming cuts will affect the organization in the years to come.

According to an email obtained APTN National News, Aboriginal Affairs has rejected more than 6 million dollars in requests for program cash including money to examine education and missing and murdered Indigenous women.

Out of a total of 7.1 million dollars in total program money, just $880,000 was approved.

AFN interim national chief Ghislain Picard says it has been frustrating to deal with Canada on the issue.

<http://aptn.ca/news/2014/10/22/valcourt-defends-funding-levels-fn-child-services-now-scrutiny-human-rights-tribunal/> Valcourt defends funding levels
for FN child services now under scrutiny by human rights tribunal

<http://aptn.ca/news/category/nation-to-nation/> Nation to Nation,
<http://aptn.ca/news/category/national-news/> National News | 22. Oct, 2014
by <http://aptn.ca/news/author/jbarrera/> Jorge Barrera |
<http://aptn.ca/news/2014/10/22/valcourt-defends-funding-levels-fn-child-services-now-scrutiny-human-rights-tribunal/#disqus_thread> 0 Comments

APTN National News

treatment of First Nation children Tuesday as the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal continued to hear closing arguments on a discrimination case against the federal government.

Valcourt faced questions from the NDP in the House of Commons over the lack of funding for First Nation child and family services.

NDP Aboriginal affairs critic Jean Crowder said during question period that Ottawa was providing 22 per cent less funding for child services compared to provincial levels.

"The Conservative government is facing an unprecedented human rights tribunal for systematically discriminating against First Nation children on reserve," said Crowder. "Its own experts have confirmed the shortfall. How can the prime minister justify treating children on reserve as second-class citizens?"

Valcourt said the Harper government had increased funding for Aboriginal Affairs' child and family services program by 40 per cent since 2006 and the total had risen to almost $630 million.

"Protecting women and children, in particular on reserve, is and remains a priority of our government," said Valcourt. "We will continue to take action to ensure that children and families have the support they need."

Read more...

Closing arguments begin in case of feds paying less for aboriginal kids in care

The Canadian Press  October 20, 2014 11:20 AM

OTTAWA - The First Nations advocate who has been fighting the federal government for nearly a decade over how much money it spends on child welfare says she hopes her experience serves as example.This week marks the final round of Cindy Blackstock's long battle at the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal to get aboriginal children the same funding from the federal government as non-aboriginal kids get from the provinces.She and the Assembly of First Nations say funding levels for First Nations child welfare agencies are 22 per cent lower than provincial agencies, despite First Nations carrying a far higher case load of child welfare files.Though the government has been aware of the discrepancy, a lack of action on their part prompted Blackstock and the AFN to file a human rights complaint in 2007 alleging the federal government is discriminating against First Nations children on the basis of their race.Closing arguments are underway this week with a decision expected next year.In the course of the fight, Blackstock's personal Facebook profile was mined by the federal government, which led the privacy commissioner to find her rights had been violated.That issue is also before the human rights tribunal which could find that she was retaliated against for speaking out and award her damages.She said she'd donate any money."This is not about money, this is about every Canadian having the right to speak out when they see something that's wrong in ways that are respectful and in ways that are in keeping with our democracy," Blackstock said at a news conference Monday."I'm hoping that people get inspired by my story to not remain silent when they see something that's wrong and needs to change because I'm not going to remain silent no matter what they do."The same year the complaint was filed, the government did change its funding model, promising better outcomes. The Conservatives also say they've
increased funding by 25 per cent.Blackstock, who is the executive director of the First Nations Child and Family Caring Society, said while there has been some improvement, there needs to be much much more. "What we're asking for is the government to implement the solutions it's already identified,"  Blackstock said, pointing to a 2000 joint review carried out by the AFN and the federal government. "It's about doing the right thing for the children and stop using racial discrimination against children as a fiscal restraint measure. I think that goes against everything the country stands for."Statistics Canada estimates that about half of children in foster care in Canada are aboriginal, with nearly four per cent of aboriginal children in care.The Conservatives had at first successfully argued the tribunal
shouldn't hear the complaint because it's unfair to compare federal and provincial programs.But the Federal Court disagreed and ordered the tribunal to proceed.Their ruling next year could affect not just aboriginal children but also open the door for discrimination cases on issues such as aboriginal policing and health.

Rights case on reserves' child care nearing end

WINNIPEG FREE PRESS By: Mia Rabson

Posted: 10/21/2014 1:00 AM |

OTTAWA -- A seven-year-old human rights complaint over the funding of child-welfare services on reserves is hitting the home stretch this week. Parties began making closing arguments at the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal hearings Monday and will continue throughout the week. "It's very frustrating that time and time again we have to look to the courts," said Ghislain Picard, acting national chief of the Assembly of First Nations.

The case was filed in 2007 in the wake of a report that showed federal funding for child-welfare services on First Nations was as much as 22 per cent less than for kids who lived off reserve. Child welfare is a provincial responsibility everywhere except reserves. The discrepancy in funding, reports argue, leads to fewer services on reserves and a higher rate of aboriginal children being taken into care.

Cindy Blackstock, head of the First Nations Child and Family Caring Society, which brought the human rights complaint, said Monday there are more aboriginal children in the care of child services today than there were aboriginal kids in schools at the height of the residential schools era.

There are more than 10,000 kids in care in Manitoba, and more than eight in 10 are aboriginal.

The case has dragged on because of years of legal technicality wrangling, including which body has jurisdiction to hear the case.

Blackstock has launched a complaint with the privacy commissioner after she discovered through an access-to-information request the government had been
tracking her movements both online and in person and generating a file with hundreds of pages about her activities. That included tailing her to speeches, observing her on social media and writing up detailed briefing notes every time she spoke publicly.

She said she believes Ottawa was trying to find a way to discredit her.

Document: Ottawa’s funding shortfall put East Coast FN children at ‘high’ risk of ‘serious harm’
<http://aptn.ca/news/2014/10/20/document-aboriginal-affairs-funding-shortfal l-put-east-coast-fn-children-high-risk-serious-harm/>

National News <http://aptn.ca/news/category/national-news/>  | 20. Oct, 2014
by Jorge Barrera <
http://aptn.ca/news/author/jbarrera/>  | 0 Comments
<
http://aptn.ca/news/2014/10/20/document-aboriginal-affairs-funding-shortfal
l-put-east-coast-fn-children-high-risk-serious-harm/#disqus_thread>

Read more...